Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Maddux 0, Stove Top 1

I was fixing the kids grilled cheese for dinner tonight and Maddux got burned. :( I turned my back to the stove and next thing you know he is screaming, standing right at the stove. He was holding his hand and just absolutely screaming. I knew right away that he must have burned himself. I looked at his hand, but he was holding it so tight and had his other hand wrapped around it and wouldn't let go. I saw a bit of his thumb and all I could see was a huge white blister of burned skin.

I immediately grabbed a booboo pad out of the freezer and made him open his hand. At that point I saw that his pointer finger was also burned. It was so awful. He was crying and screeching. It's going to make me cry just thinking about it. He was in so much pain. I was sitting with him on the kitchen floor when Kevin came in. I called my parents, who are both medical professionals (Ava was so calm and good, she got the phone for me and brought Maddux a blankie and his stuffed kitty). My dad thought it sounded like he'd be ok at home so I tried my best to calm Maddux down. He said he was tired so I took him up to my bed to lay down, but he just kept screaming. He'd be fine for a few minutes and then he'd just start tensing up and thrashing and saying that it "hurts real bad" and just screaming. So we decided to take him to the urgent care center just to make sure things were ok. I had wrapped his hand in a wet blankie (burp cloth) which had an ice pack inside and he would not let go.

The doctor and nurse (the nurse was amazing, she helped my teary self stay calm and was really good with Maddux) determined that he's ok, but it is a bad burn. His thumb is one big blister over the entire pad. His pointer finger is blistered down to the 2nd joint and he had a 3rd blister on the first joint of his middle finger too. :( They put some burn cream on him and bandaged the 3 fingers and then wrapped them all up in gauze. We have to take it all off and reapply cream tomorrow morning. Our biggest concern at this point is for the blisters to not pop, which would be painful and leave it open to infection.

I just feel so bad. I know I couldn't really have prevented it, and that it's not my fault, but man, mommy guilt is a horrendous thing. It's gut wrenching to see your baby in so much pain. And the fact that he could tell me it hurt so badly was awful, especially since there really wasn't much I could do to make him feel better. Poor little man. We used some camoflauge bandages to reinforce the gauze and tucked him up in bed. So far he's sleeping very peacefully. I hope they're not too painful tomorrow.

5 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Oh MY!! I hope Maddux is better today. Mommy guilt is the worst. No matter how much we watch them they seem to find ways to get hurt.

megan said...

I wondered where you were today at playgroup. Poor Maddux! We hope his fingers feel better soon!

Amber Greenawalt said...

Poor little guy! I hope Maddux heals quickly. It's so hard to see kids in pain. :( You're a super Mommy! big hugs, amber

Carainn said...

Amy
God, it is so hard sometime to watch them and there little hand.
Poor Maddux & poor Amy.
hope tomorrow bring a better day for you all.
love Carainn

Unknown said...

i wondered where you were too and i didn't know when i saw you that night!!! i see that he seems to be doing better!! hope the boo boo is better soon!