Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cavities Suck - Major Venting ahead

We learned that Ava had one, and probably 2, cavities at her last dental cleaning. Our regular dentist referred us to a pediatric dentist since they have better sedation/pain relief options than she would. Being that I like to know what I'm getting into, I went to CharlotteMommies and asked about the dentist she referred us to. After hearing numerous bad things and only a couple of good things I decided not to choose them. I did tons of looking for different ped. dentists that people had good things to say about. I ended up finding one but it was all the way in Matthews, which isn't exactly convenient. After much thinking I went with a much closer and very well-referred office... Young & Polite. This was a tough decision for me since my dentist said she had stopped referring there because too many of her patients weren't happy with them. I ignored that though since so many people had so many nice things to say, I never heard one bad thing!

So, we finally go earlier this week. The place was so "bubblegum" for lack of a better word... just insanely intent on keeping kids happy. The ladies were so overly cheery they were kind of weirding Ava out, she even told me later they were crazy. They did x-rays and then Dr. Polite (yes, seriously, their names are Dr. Young & his wife Dr. Polite) checked out Ava's teeth. She without telling me, did sealants on 2 of Ava's teeth and then diagnosed 4 cavities. What a load of crap! I was so pissed off because I know that our insurance does not cover sealants on baby teeth and it was $45 a tooth! Needless to say they are going to remove those charges from our bill. I cannot believe they had the audacity to do a treatment without my consent. Dr Polite was very sweet and apologetic of course, but she had quite an air of "I'm the expert" (which she actually told me) and that I'm the idiot mom. When I questioned the 4 cavities rather than the 2 I was expecting she said they're very aggressive with treatments and treat all spots as cavities whether they are actually a cavity or not. I sense $$$$$ in their eyes there. Again, I am absolutely floored that they would fill cavities that aren't even cavities. My regular dentist was so upset for me. And I feel stupid because she warned me not to go there and I did it anyway.

Moving on... we are going for a consult at another peds dentist that Kari feels is more aligned with her "philosophy" of dentistry. We'll be going in 2 weeks when we get back from Ohio. Can I just say how stressed out and pissed I am at all this! It's enough of a blow to hear that your kid has 2 cavities but to hear they have 4 and that treatments were done without my consent is just about to make me blow my top off. They were more concerned with singing and being silly than communicating with me... what a way to treat your clients.

Whew... I feel better releasing it out. And I apologize to those of you who read this and are happy clients of Young & Polite. I'm sure they do a good job of things, that's not my complaint, I just wasn't kept in the loop and felt they came down hard on us since we weren't regular patients of theirs.

added 2 hours later: let me clarify before you think I'm just hating on Young & Polite... I'm angry with them for their lack of communication with me, nothing else. I am mostly angry with myself. I spent hours trying to find what I thought was the best care for Ava. I wanted someone I could trust. Ultimately, it was my decision that led us to where we are now. I should have listened to my dentist when she said she no longer refers there, I should have paid better attention at Young & Polite and not been distracted by their fast pace and crazy behavior. I am mad at myself primarily.

7 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, Amy. Trying to find ANY doctor for your kids is very stressful. I always second guess myself. They should have NEVER done any kind of work on Ava without your concent. That's just bad business!

megan said...

Ok, now you've got me mad too. I've had a similar experience there. They put some treatment on Emily's teeth 3 months ago at her cleaning, then told me that we had to come back in 3 mos to do it again (but not do a cleaning that time). When we just went back, without telling me, they did a cleaning b/c they said she needed it!!! Now they've put her on an "every 3 mos" cleaning schedule and insurance only covers 2 a year, so I'm paying 2 a year out of pocket. I'm so mad that they didn't ask me before doing the cleaning. I didn't even speak up, but now I feel like complaining. Grrrrrr.....

Anonymous said...

So happy to find your blog! Boy, where have I been ?? At least you have not had it for years...
We just went to the dentist for the boys and 'A' has 2 cavities. I am bummed. We need to floss and get flouride tablets.
I can't believe they did the service without your consent. That's no right...
-Leigh

Tracy said...

You poor thing. I didn't know that dentists actually sealed baby teeth. Hmmm. FYI the boys both go to Dr Savage off of Rea Rd. They LOVE going to the dentist. I hope your next experience is much better. ((HUGS))

The Baur Family said...

Poor Ava (and you)! We also go to Dr Savage on Rea Rd and LOVE him! They even got Mary Mac to sit in the chair and do a cleaning..I was shocked since she had just turned 2, and is very stubborn. Andrew loves going to see him! Marianne

Unknown said...

well, i'm just sick for you and sick that i was one of the ones who sent you there : (

i hope you get the mess worked out and most importantly i hope ava gets the cavities taken care of without more drama!!!

Amy said...

Amy..we had a similar experience when Anderson was about 20 months. Next time I see you you will have to tell me who they sent your to first. The place mine sent me wanted to crown Anderson's front two teeth and fill six more of Anderson's teeth... I felt like the worst mom ever.. They wanted to take us to the BANK!!!!! Thought we were stupid.. we almost fell for it too. We now take him to Dr. Boyne in Rock Hill.. She is wonderful. He has two filled the month before Grayson was born and it wasn't all that bad. Hope you are able to find a better one. It's really hard to hear your child has cavities. I think the silly yummy toothpaste they tell us to use on them before they can spit has a lot to do with it. I think they need some sort of flouride... Ok.. I'm done. You struck a cord with me.. Sorry.