Here's my next new recipe... Candy Chicken. It's actually called Crockpot Brown Sugar Chicken but the author said her family calls it Candy Chicken and that seems appealing to the kids so I'm going with it. :)
The recipe came recommended to me by my friend, Kristin from the blog A Year of Crockpotting
Here's the recipe:
12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 6 boneless, skinless breasts (I used 3 huge breasts)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon-lime pop, aka soda for all you southerners :)
2/3 cup vinegar (she used white wine, I used apple cider)
3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic (I used jarred minced)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper
Plop the chicken into your crockpot. Cover with the brown sugar, pepper, chopped garlic, and soy sauce. Add the vinegar, and pour in the soda.
Cover and cook on low for 6-9 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours. The chicken is done when it is cooked through and has reached desired consistency. The longer you cook it, the more tender it will be.
Serve over a bowl of white rice with a ladle full of the broth.
I plan on serving it over brown rice and with steamed brocolli. My kitchen smells wonderful right now... a bit tangy from the vinegar and sweet from the sugar.
I committed a cardinal sin of crockpotting and took off the lid so I could get this picture. :) It's about 2 hours after starting it up.
*The Verdict*
1) I overcooked the chicken. I didn't realize you could burn something in a crockpot full of liquid. I assumed that the chicken was dark because of the dark sauce, but in fact it was burning on the outside. :\
2) Maddux: "It's yummy"
Ava: "It's too sweet"
Kevin & I: we tried to debate whether we didn't like it because it was burned or because of something else. We concluded that we didn't like it because it was too sweet.
To the garbage this recipe goes. oh well. If you plan on making it, don't cook it much more than 6 hours on low. And be prepared, it's really, really sweet.
Minnow
5 months ago
8 comments:
Sounds good! I laughed at the "lemon-lime pop" ingredient. At first I thought it was a flavor of popsicle! I had never heard of using a popsicle in a recipe though...then I read the word "soda" later on and figured it out :) So it's 1/4 of a can of it??? I'm gonna have to try this, since I think I have all of those ingredients on hand :)
That sounds yummy.. I also being from the south was thinking Popsicle!! :)
This looks really good! I'm going to have to try it.
Popsicle! hahaha
I edited the recipe, it's 1/4 CUP of the soda.
I'll update with all our thoughts on it later.
Yummm!!!! I can't wait to try this, and you're right about sticking to the "Candy" chicken name, that will definately make it more appealing to my kids. Thanks for posting this!
BTW...being from the south, I didn't get the "pop" thing either, but I wasn't thinking popsicle, wasn't sure what you were talking about until I read soda...should have said "Lemon/Lime coke" haha
yum!! i can't wait to hear how it tastes. thanks for posting these...
Thanks for the receipe Amy. This went over well at our house. Everyone loved it except Joshua- but he dosn't count. He dosn't eat anything unless it is a grilled cheese, hotdog, ck nuggest or an egg.
Thanks for the update! I think maybe I'll skip it if it's really that sweet. I'm trying a new crockpot recipe tonight--I'll let you know if it's any good!
Post a Comment