Friday, March 27, 2009

Family Movie Night

We've started a new tradition, Family Movie Night, for Friday's. We'd always randomly had movie nights, but a couple Fridays ago, when Kevin was out-of-town, I made a big deal out of a movie night with the kids. We watched Star Wars The Clone Wars. They got to stay up extra late (9pm, which is super late for them!). We had popcorn and piled up pillows and blankets on the floor. I was impressed by their ability to sit and watch through almost the entire movie! We watch movies alot during the day and they come and go and generally don't pay attention so I wasn't expecting it. They did so well, I thought it would be fun to do every Friday.

Last Friday they watched The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. It was a little intense for them both, but they made it through and both said they liked it when it was over.

Harry Potter was on the line-up for tonight, but I thought it might be another intense movie for them so decided to save it. Kevin isn't home again tonight, he's having his own movie night out with friends, and his lap might be needed for Harry.

After Ava's school pick-up we headed to Blockbuster. It came down to Charlotte's Web or Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. The kids picked Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. I'm going to pull up our photos from Disney where they played in the play area for this movie. We also got some candy and I'll make popcorn again. And since Kevin is out, we'll probably swing through McD's for a picnic dinner as well.

I'd like to make a list of movies that would be good for movie night. Movies other than the standard G-rated Disney cartoons. Milo & Otis was suggested. If you've got some other cute kid-appropriate movies leave me a comment to let me know! I've got to think of all the classics... Chitty-chitty-bang-bang, Flubber, etc.

4 comments:

Karen said...

we recently got Mary Poppins - the kids loved it and watched the whole thing. I think they migth also like teh Sound of Music.

The Baur Family said...

My kids love Wizard of Oz, but that's a really long one. I liked all the old disney movies growing up, Herbie (not the Lindsay Lohan one), Mary Poppins, Freaky Friday, and Parent Trap (again, not the Lindsay Lohan ones, but the originals-ha!)

Karen said...

One of my childhood favorites: The Neverending Story. It might be a little too intense and one to save though.

megan said...

My kids would vote for High School Musical for sure :) We've been wanting to see The Music Man too, since they love that soundtrack. Annie is another favorite.