ha, can anyone name that tune? I was going to just say "I Ran", but the song got in my head, and I think it's going to be stuck there awhile. :)
Anyway, I Ran! I have had a crazy idea of learning to run for quite awhile now. But I just didn't know where to begin and filled myself with excuses not to do it... it's too hot, I'm too out-of-shape, and Kevin's fave, my "girls" are going to give me black eyes/knock me out. <
But I did it. Someone on SW CM wanted to get a little group together to start the Couch to 5K program. This program has you walking and running in increments, gradually bringing up the running so that, supposedly, in 9 weeks you are ready for a 5K. How could I say no to the perfect opportunity... running with other people, all of which are just as out-of-shape as me, having a plan, etc.
7 of us got together last night for our first run. I downloaded a free podcast of the program into my ipod so that we'd all know when to walk and when to run. It had us do 8 "runs", 60 seconds running followed by 90 seconds of walking. It was hard the first run, then much easier the next 5 runs, then back to hard for the last 2 runs. But not unbearable, with someone by my side I had motivation to follow through. If I would have been by myself there is no way I would have done all the runs.
Part of me, the youthful, in shape, much thinner part of me in my head, thinks it's quite sad that 8 60 second increments was hard, but I'm trying to drown her out. I ran! And I'm trying to feel really good about actually doing something that I've wanted to do, and something that will make me a healthier person too.
So, again, I RAN! :)
oh, I got blisters on the back of my heels. What a bummer. I didn't notice them until our cool-down walk at the end so they're not as bad as I'm sure they could be. I'm hoping by tomorrow (our 2nd run) they'll be ok. Guess I need to find something to cushion them... suggestions?
Minnow
5 months ago
9 comments:
I think my neighbor's doing this too! Sounds like a great plan. I need to try this. Can you let me know when you're going again? Is it every day?
Good for you! Treat yourself to some new sneakers for those blisters. (Or maybe new sneakers were the culprit? In that case, I've heard moleskin works pretty well.)
Way to go Amy!!! Yay, You!
Good for you! That sounds like a great program! Keep it up!
Keep it up Amy! Way to go! You can do it!!!!
(When I started training for the first tri, I could not run a mile. I had to walk 1/4, run 1/4, walk 1/4, run 1/4. It felt like I was a lame-o but I just kept telling myself we all have to start somewhere. Now, I actually enjoy my runs, even though I still often have to tell myself "just put one foot in front of the other")
PS - love the visual of you knocking yourself out with your "girls!!"
Good for you, Amy! That's wonderful!
Yay Amy! Way to go!
My sis is doing couch to 5K too.
I signed up for the Susan G. Komen 5K....my first race in a loong time...wann join me? :)
Way to go! I'm so impressed. Next time you shave your legs, I bet you'll notice the new muscles in your calves. PS...if you need to unload some of your "girls", I'd love some!!
Way to go, Amy! Congratulations! When I first started running and a 5K was mentioned to me, I actually laughed and said it wasn't possible. You will surprise yourself with how quickly it comes. I thought it was going to take 6 months, but actually only took several weeks. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment