My Mother's Day fun actually started on Saturday. Kevin and I had a real date! No kids! I arranged for the kids to go to a neighbors for the afternoon. We dropped them off at 3pm and then took the train uptown. We walked up to Spirit Square to hunt down Ava's art that is on display. She drew a family picture, including one of her cousins. hahaha We have a reception up there tomorrow evening, so pics will be coming! Then we walked down to the Epicenter to find a place to eat. We chose Black Finn, which touts itself as an "American Saloon". I had a perfectly delish pineapple martini followed up with an equally fabulous dinner of balsamic chicken, garlic smashed potatoes and fresh snap peas. I nearly cleaned my plate it was so good. We got back to the kids just before 7 and sat and talked with our neighbors until 8. Came back and got the kids in quick bath and hoped that the later bedtime and lots of outside time for them meant they'd sleep in in the morning!
They were up at 7:30, which is a little later than usual. No matter to me though as it was Mother's Day! My day to sleep in until whenever I want! Ava was excited though and wanted to give me my present. I got an absolutely beautiful mother's ring. I have wanted this ring for a couple years now. I finally started forwarding sales emails to Kevin as a big hint. He took it up this year. Yay! My kids birthstones don't go together at all, and I'm not a big jewelry person anyway, so this understated and simple ring is just perfect for me. It's 3 entwined rings, one for each of my babies. I just absolutely love it.
Kevin then took the kids out for breakfast leaving me to sleep in peace and quiet. I read instead, I just couldn't fall back asleep. When they came back they brought a donut to me in bed, flowers (yellow carnations from Maddux and pink carnations from Ava). I also got my presents the kids made in school. Ava wrote a story about me and drew my portrait. She also painted a flower pot and planted me a coleus plant, she gave those to me after school on Friday since it was a plant. Maddux made a handprint tile from ArtSpace, which I love since that was Ava's 3yr-preschool gift to me too.
A bit later in the day we went to Windjammer Park in Tega Cay. The kids had a blast jumping around in the little lake waves. They could have stayed all day. We're going to have to go back to swim sometime. Then we hit Maggie Moo's for an ice cream treat. We love Maggie Moo's (it is so much yummier than Coldstone for those who haven't ventured down to Tega Cay).
After icecream we came home and set up the slip-n-slide. The kids had a blast slipping and sliding and making mud in the backyard. We grilled out steaks and shrimp and had baked potatoes and salad. Put the kids in the tub and came down for homemade strawberry shortcake. Yum! What a day. It was busy and full and nice and relaxing all at the same time. A perfect Mother's Day.
Minnow
5 months ago
3 comments:
awww, love all the mother's day goodies! Hope you had a great day, you deserve it!
I'd really like to know where he got that cool ring if he's willing to divulge. :)
Sarah
just got your message on facebook, amy. Thanks!
That ring is wonderful. :-)
Post a Comment