Wednesday, February 18, 2009

To my Steele Creek Friends

I have removed the link to the Steele Creek Blog from my blog roll. The owner of this blog has taken it upon herself to link to my blog, and several other moms blogs in the area. While she originally said we could request to have our blogs removed she has gotten very upset that we don't want them linked.

I understand that my blog is "public" but I don't want it advertised on a community blog. If my friends link to my blog, I'm totally fine with that. To me it means, at most, that friends of my friends are glancing at my blog. I trust my friends so I trust their friends too. Maybe that's being too trusting, but I feel comfortable with it, and I'm guessing most of you guys do too since only a couple of you have private blogs.

The Steele Creek Blog though is different. It's not a friend of mine, I didn't even know if it was a man or woman writing it until this all happened. It's a community blog with posts about things going on in our area... growth, development, schools, etc. Do I like the blog, yes, definitely. I get a lot of information from it. Do I want my personal blog, my blog that is about my children, linked on it? Absolutely not. I have no idea who reads the Steele Creek Blog, but I do know they live in this area of town and I don't care for them to see pictures of my children and read the mundane things about my family that I post about. It should'nt even be of interest to anyone but my friends.

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. So please be careful when linking to this blog. I have requested twice now to have my link removed, but so far it's still there.

She finally removed my blog and all but one of the personal blogs. She also removed all our comments which I find kind of humorous. Hopefully she's also come to her senses about linking to personal blogs... but really, I guess not, since she left Sarah's blog on there.

She's also now comically added Tips for Bloggers trying to say we are already listed on Blogger and searchable by google since we're not private blogs. That's not true though. You can turn off being listed in the Blogger Directory and the ability to have your blog searched by Google and other search engines. She just really misses the point I think.

2 comments:

melissa said...

I agree with you 100%! I had people linking my blog to theur blog through friends..just weird to me. So I became private. It's almost been 1 year since going private and I love it. Better safe than sorry I say. Melissa C

Amber Greenawalt said...

I feel the same way that you do Amy. Our blog is not "searchable" through search engines like Google. We have turned off that function just like you. We have chosen not to be "private" though so that people don't have to log in to read our blog. Lot's of our friends and family are not just not that "tech savvy" ;)and we know we would lose some important readers if we did. (We still might somewhere down the road) Our blog is accessible by all our friends who have linked to us just as we have linked to them. We have been accessed by friends of our friends and I also don't mind that. It's how I have gotten to known the "Tootle Family" for example and some of our greatest support has come from people who are friends of our friends being asked to pray for us---that sort of thing.

On the other hand I would never want my blog linked to a blog that is a community blog like the Steele Creek one is. It's crazy to me that she would get upset with people for not wanting to be linked. If anyone ever requested to be removed from my blog roll I would gladly oblige.