We just got back from the beach today (post on that will come later after I get through our million loads of laundry and such) and almost all the way home we talked about getting a kitten. We ended up talking to the kids about it so at this point we'd have tons of tears if we didn't follow through. We've thought about it for awhile, well I have anyway, but when Elaine got her new kitty I showed Kevin thinking he would say "hell no". Instead he gushed about how cute it was... thanks Elaine! :)
We went to Petsmart tonight to see what kitties they had and we've looked at the websites for the humane society out by the airport. We even talked to the adoption guy at Petsmart for awhile. We'll probably get a 4 month old male since Cammie is a female. I truly think Cammie is lonely since we lost Willie back in February. Whether she'll take to a kitten or not is another matter. My big concern is making things worse and driving Cammie into seclusion. But she loves attention and begs for it constantly so I don't think she'd go hole up under the bed forever. I also worry that she might be mean to the kitten. She hates hates hates cats that walk by the windows outside. She goes so far as to crash into the windows hard enough that you can hear her teeth hit the glass.
Ack, it's a tough decision. We're really leaning towards doing it and now is a good time since we don't have any out-of-town trips planned until thanksgiving so we'd have time to get the cats good and settled. So, tell me, am I crazy? Any advice?
Minnow
5 months ago
3 comments:
First of all, you're not stupid. Second, that is a tough call. I don't know Cammie but based on your posting I think she would be more likely to take to a new kitten than not. She could "mother" it. I think that her getting upset about cats walking outside by your window is a territoral thing and perhaps not a representation of how she would act toward a new cat inside of your home. If you pay a lot of attention to Cammie when you get the new kitten, perhaps she will not feel threatened or feel like her space is being being invaded. Best of luck. :-)
Go for it! :)
~says the lady with no pets...well unless you count the three children LOL
so as the girl who already did this, i'll let you know how things are going in our house.
the kids LOVE the kitten and the kitten loves them. he is with us all day everyday. where ever molly is felix is never far behind.
that being said, figaro is ready to move out. no mind you, she's almost 15 and quite an old lady. she hates when the felix tries to play with her. but, sometimes they will both lay peacefully in the same room together. baby steps. plus, there are lots of times when figaro could go off and be by herself and she CHOOSES to be where felix is, so i don't feel too sorry for her.
bottom line, if you and the kids would enjoy the kitten... do it. your older cat will adjust. eventually : )
Post a Comment