Friday, January 9, 2009

The Tooth that Refused to Turn Six

Ava lost her first tooth tonight... the night before she wakes up 6 yrs old, or "birthday eve" as Ava puts it. It's very appropriate I think to lose your first tooth right before a birthday. It's been super wiggly since just before christmas but in the last couple days it has gotten grossly wiggly.

At bedtime tonight I asked to see how wiggly it was and when I saw that it had loosened up even since yesterday I told Ava she should get it out of there. She got super excited about that idea and was jumping up and down and being a giggly mess. I gave her a wad of tissue and told her to give it a quick yank. Her first yank it started bleeding a bit, which freaked her out a bit until I told her that meant it was really close. She was still giving little tugs while I took Maddux to bed. She called me back in though and she could tip it forward (like straight out and down). So I asked if she wanted to keep at it or let me try and she chose to let me try. One little tug from me and it was out. She seemed a little shocked but was very excited and ran downstairs to tell daddy. While I finished taking Maddux to bed she called Nana and Grandma to tell them her news. :)

She put it in her little tooth box (thanks Therese!) and it's sitting with a little Tinker Bell on her nightstand awaiting the tooth fairy. What a milestone... losing a first tooth and turning 6. boohoo

2 comments:

Therese said...

I am excited for her and for you, though I know it is a bit bitter-sweet when they seem to be growing up so fast. SLOW DOWN!! I say, but the clock keeps ticking. Congratulations!! and you're welcome for the tooth box. :)

megan said...

How exciting!!! We're still waiting for our first loose tooth over here. And happy belated b'day to Ava too!